Re: Sawfish2: '2' Suffix

On 19-Jun-02, 17:54 (CDT), Colin Walters <walters@debian.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-06-19 at 18:29, Steve Greenland wrote:
> > This is probably going to sound a harsh, but as a user of GNOME, and
> > assuming that the idea is to release (woody+1) with GNOME 2.x and not
> > GNOME 1.x, I'd vote for putting GNOME 2.x in unstable without using foo2
> > style names.
>
> I don't want to replace GNOME 1.4 in unstable right now; I still use it
> as my main desktop environment.  Some big things (e.g. Evolution) still
> aren't ported to 2.0.

"Don't use unstable, or learn to use pins". It's not that hard.

> I don't see why we can't have the best of both worlds; e.g. GNOME 2
> available in unstable now with the "2" suffix where applicable, and then
> at some point before woody+1 we rename all the packages and replace
> GNOME 1.4.

Because it's a lot of extra work for the package maintainers and ftp
masters, and (IMO) needless.

Look, I'm not trying to tell people what to do, or how to do it.
I'm just pointing out that unstable is, well, unstable, and people
who use it should be prepared for significant change and occasional
inconvenience. Before testing existed, I'd have been a little less
gung-ho about this, but I really don't see the need anymore.

Steve

--
Steve Greenland

    world.       -- seen on the net