Re: Gnome 2 summary 05/06/2002

On Sun, 2002-06-09 at 07:54, Joseph Carter wrote:
<snip>
> > Actually, it is a gnome-control-center bug, it will be fixed in the
> > release following 1.99.10.
>
> Eh?  If it's a gnomecc2 bug, how is it fixed by Nautilus 1.1.19 as was
> indicated this morning?  I was flamed this morning for not upgrading to
> 1.1.19 yet (damned modem!) which was reported to fix the problem.  I've
> not done so yet as I just got home.  It's downloaded and all, so after I
> finish this message I'll be upgrading it and half a dozen other Gnome2
> packages.
>
> If I'm going to be flamed for not upgrading to a fixed version of a thing
> which was just uploaded before I complain that there is a problem, at the
> very leas the new version should actually fix that problem, I would hope.
> Either way, the important thing is that the problem be identified and
> corrected.  It also helps if several people happen to know what the
> problem is so the next person who comes along with the problem has a
> chance of getting help with it.

You could at the very least check that the latest version of the
software still has the bug. Or read the ChangeLogs. And if in doubt file
a bug. People on #gnome are not know-it-alls.

> > Fri May 10 19:00:25 2002  Jonathan Blandford  <jrb@redhat.com>
> >
> >         * main.c (DESKTOP_FONT_NAME_KEY): get it to use the right key.
> >
> > You can still edit /apps/nautilus/preferences/desktop_font by hand, with
> > gconf-editor though.
>
> Okay, I can tell you I don't have this key.  I added it, gconf-editor
> crashed, I reran it and added .../preferences/desktop_font_size as well,
> it crashed again.  Time to grab the source and build this thing for
> debugging, Gnome's registry editor ;) should not die when you add keys
> like that, and this looks reproducable enough to buttonhole the actual
> cause for a change!

No shit. Filing a bug with reproducible steps is good enough for a bug
report. The key should be there, or that means that nautilus isn't
properly installed.

> And BTW...  THANK YOU!  Adding the first key fixed the problem.  The
> second was an experiment on my part, but the key seems not to be
> recognized.  If you happen to know the name of the key for changing the
> size of the font, I'd greatly appreciate knowing.  (If you do not know, it
> is not strictly necessary as the chosen default size is readable at this
> resolution/size..)

Same key. Something like "Sans 12". Or any other Pango font description.
It's what appears in the Fonts Prefs, even though applying doesn't work.

Cheers

--
/Bastien Nocera
http://hadess.net