Re: Gnome 2 summary 05/06/2002

On Sat, Jun 08, 2002 at 09:14:38PM +0100, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> > Supposedly Gnome2 is big on accessability features - yet it seems they're
> > systematically removing everything that makes a desktop accessable to a
> > low-vision users.  First Pango can't see ... well, basically any 75dpi
> > fonts, including all of my very carefully selected very large fonts,
>
> Pango uses scalable fonts. If your fonts are bitmap fonts, they won't
> work.

This makes no sense for gnome-terminal, and isn't what's happening.  I
maintain xfonts-jmk, so I know what's in it.  The two 100dpi fonts show
up, the dozen or so other 75dpi fonts don't.  The two 100dpi fonts are not
scalable.  I was able to edit a fontspec by hand with gconf though, and
this worked well enough.

> > required for me to use X effectively.  The version of nautilus1.1 I'm
> > using (1.1.17-2) won't even use the configured desktop font.  As a result,
>
> nautilus 1.1.19 is current. Remember you're using beta software. This
> bug was fixed.

I was hoping it might be so, thanks.  I've been trying various things
suggested to "fix my font setup" since that is what people have been
telling me is wrong.  They told me to trust them that it was not a bug, so
I hadn't filed it as one yet.  This morning I got someone to look over all
of my relevant configs and ensure that they were correct.  I've been at
this for a couple days now, it's not like this is the first time I've
mentioned this problem to anyone.

Contrary to jdub's belief, I began with the assumption that it was a
misconfiguration on my system and asked #gnome for advice.  That was two
days ago now.  I've since tried half a dozen things and asked for further
advice when I found they didn't work.  Everyone I talked to was certain
that it was not a bug in Nautilus.

I'll install the downloaded stuff when I get home and report back if it
doesn't fix it.

--
Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@bluecherry.net>          You want fries with that?

<Knghtbrd> hardcopy is for wussies
<Topher> computer program listings....next, on HardCopy