Re: Gnome 2 summary 05/06/2002

On Sat, 2002-06-08 at 22:45, Joseph Carter wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 08, 2002 at 09:14:38PM +0100, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> > > Supposedly Gnome2 is big on accessability features - yet it seems they're
> > > systematically removing everything that makes a desktop accessable to a
> > > low-vision users.  First Pango can't see ... well, basically any 75dpi
> > > fonts, including all of my very carefully selected very large fonts,
> >
> > Pango uses scalable fonts. If your fonts are bitmap fonts, they won't
> > work.
>
> This makes no sense for gnome-terminal, and isn't what's happening.  I
> maintain xfonts-jmk, so I know what's in it.  The two 100dpi fonts show
> up, the dozen or so other 75dpi fonts don't.  The two 100dpi fonts are not
> scalable.  I was able to edit a fontspec by hand with gconf though, and
> this worked well enough.

You didn't say it was gnome-terminal... Well, gnome-terminal uses bitmap
fonts, but it silently fails when you select a font that doesn't contain
all the characters needed for the encoding corresponding to your locale.

If you know how to modify the fonts to have all the characters, I'm
willing to try, as I package xfonts-gimpers, and a couple in there are
broken.

> > > required for me to use X effectively.  The version of nautilus1.1 I'm
> > > using (1.1.17-2) won't even use the configured desktop font.  As a result,
> >
> > nautilus 1.1.19 is current. Remember you're using beta software. This
> > bug was fixed.
>
> I was hoping it might be so, thanks.  I've been trying various things
> suggested to "fix my font setup" since that is what people have been
> telling me is wrong.  They told me to trust them that it was not a bug, so
> I hadn't filed it as one yet.  This morning I got someone to look over all
> of my relevant configs and ensure that they were correct.  I've been at
> this for a couple days now, it's not like this is the first time I've
> mentioned this problem to anyone.

Actually, it is a gnome-control-center bug, it will be fixed in the
release following 1.99.10.

Fri May 10 19:00:25 2002  Jonathan Blandford  <jrb@redhat.com>

        * main.c (DESKTOP_FONT_NAME_KEY): get it to use the right key.

You can still edit /apps/nautilus/preferences/desktop_font by hand, with
gconf-editor though.

Cheers

--
/Bastien Nocera