Re: Debian apps in GNOME menu

On Thu, Nov 04, 1999 at 10:10:46AM +0100, Lars Hallberg wrote:

> Translation:
>
> Gnome use gettext? Howe about KDE? Would it be possably to use
> getext to translate the *debian* mennu *when included* in the
> gnome one?

No, gettext is unsuitable for the menu system. gettext is for static
data while the menu is dynamic. Instead the menu files for KDE and Gnome
include all translations. There is no way to specify a translation in
the Debian menu files and using the current syntax to add this feature
will make the menu files a real mess.

Perhaps I should try to write this extension but I don't think Debian
has the infrastructure to provide the translation for every menu.

> If this is extendable so You can have translation with every menu
> system suporting gettext, it be cool. If You want translation You
> have to choose a filemaneger / other menusystem that suport it -
> fair enuff!

Great, so we have the information in triple - every program in the KDE menus,
in the Gnome menus and in the Debian menus with the Debian menus being
complete. Fine.

> That way, the debiam menusystem in itself need no translation...

No way, you have to specify the translation for each entry resp. the
information about the program.

> Great, Your a sysadm and make solutions for Your users. The debian
> menus is for users who dont have a sysadm and want to find *all*
> ther software in an consistent way. Maybee this is ther first
> experiens whith anything unix-like.

The sys admin is just another user for Debian. Debian tries to leverage
the load on the user so why not on the sys admin? Perhaps I have to
install RedHat or SuSE for that?

> *Going totaly off topic, please stop reading*
>
> Improvment i want:
>
> move tools and system under app too root menu.
>
> move shell and wieves to tools.
>
> Divide tools and system more, for exampel, make system->config and
> move most stuff in app->misc there.
>
> But this is just details.... Guess this is guided by polisy so
> it is nothing just changed in an minute...

This can be done using the translation files. If they really work now,
I did not check.

cu
    Torsten