Re: Debian apps in GNOME menu

On Wed, Nov 03, 1999 at 11:34:43PM +0100, Torsten Landschoff wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 02, 1999 at 05:04:33PM -0800, Chris Waters wrote:
>
> Right. I also like the Debian menu system for being consistent and
> finding everything in there.

And this is important stuff!

> I read all the docs and even part of the source. Why? I wanted to
> include an icon for Communicator in the ICafe I installed Debian in.
> I tried for=20 hours and failed [....].

Some have succided, but if it is so hard, somthing (proabably
documentation) need improvments.

> Furthermore you do not need to run update-menus or something like
> that if you are installing something into the Gnome menus.

No, but debian menu works 'everywhere'!

Translation:

Gnome use gettext? Howe about KDE? Would it be possably to use
getext to translate the *debian* mennu *when included* in the
gnome one?

If this is extendable so You can have translation with every menu
system suporting gettext, it be cool. If You want translation You
have to choose a filemaneger / other menusystem that suport it -
fair enuff!

That way, the debiam menusystem in itself need no translation...

Can someone coment if this is att all doable...

> While you tell me you like those Debian menus (and probably many
> other Debian users will as long as they know the system well and
> speak english), I was asked if I could remove those "silly" menu
> entries from our systems. Nobody ever uses the Debian menus. Why?
> They are to deep nested. I know I can add translations and stuff
> but this is even more work then just creating anew menu hierarchy
> just for my users with the stuff which is most commonlyneeded.

Great, Your a sysadm and make solutions for Your users. The debian
menus is for users who dont have a sysadm and want to find *all*
ther software in an consistent way. Maybee this is ther first
experiens whith anything unix-like.

*Going totaly off topic, please stop reading*

Improvment i want:

move tools and system under app too root menu.

move shell and wieves to tools.

Divide tools and system more, for exampel, make system->config and
move most stuff in app->misc there.

But this is just details.... Guess this is guided by polisy so
it is nothing just changed in an minute...

Thanks /Lars

--
Lars Hallberg                                     Micro++  www.micropp.se/
Freeware  *  C/C++  *  Python  *  Linux  *  Debian  *  HTML  *  Javascript