Re: Newbie questions on packaging opencpn

On 9/20/18 8:08 AM, Alec Leamas wrote:
> On 19/09/18 21:08, Sebastiaan Couwenberg wrote:

>>> OK, thanks! Pushed some cleanup on top of that. Are we done?
>>
>> Close, but not yet:
>>
>> P: unarr source: file-contains-trailing-whitespace debian/control (line 42)
>>
>> I: unarr source: unused-override
>> debian-rules-contains-unnecessary-get-orig-source-target
>
> Done (forgot to check after the crlf mess, sorry).
>

>> And ideally this gets patched anyway:
>>
>> N: A simple typo in a comment, not worth issuing a PR.
>> O: libunarr1: spelling-error-in-binary
>> usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libunarr.so.1.0.0 amout amount
>> You can collect a few more spelling errors before upstreaming if you want.
>
> A downstream patch handling a typo in a comment? Frankly: no. And it's
> certainly not worth upstreaming.

It's not just in a comment, those don't end up in the binary.

$ grep -i amout * -r | grep -v debian/patches
rar/filter-rar.c:        warn("Failed to expand the expected amout of
bytes");
unarr.h:/* copies at most 'count' bytes of the archive's global comment
(if any) into buffer; returns the actual amout of bytes copied (or, if
'buffer' is NULL, the required buffer size) */

> Seriously: please don't push this issue.

But I will, because the fix is trivial.

Once you forwarded spelling patches, upstream tend to get their act
together and adopt tooling like codespell to prevent releasing code with
spelling errors.