Re: Newbie questions on packaging opencpn

On 9/8/18 8:50 AM, Alec Leamas wrote:
> On 05/09/18 14:47, Sebastiaan Couwenberg wrote:
>> On 9/5/18 10:05 AM, Alec Leamas wrote:
>>> On 05/09/18 09:39, Sebastiaan Couwenberg wrote:
>
>>> My gut feeling still is that using get-orig-source and consistent lf
>>> line ends is a better option than wading into a mess of inconsistent
>>> line endings. That said, I'm a newbie, I could try to walk this path.
>>> However, this means reworking large parts of my setup, and I question
>>> the value. It will considerably delay my work.
>>
>> What reworking do you need? Switching from the get-orig-source target to
>> uscan should be trivial.
>>
>> I also don't understand why you're so hung up on the line ending, it
>> shouldn't really matter which is used.
>
> Fixed, sort of. I have the watch file, and use uscan in get-orig-source.
>
> And yes, I have get-orig-source and am prepared to defend that decision.
> Things like git, my editor and command line tools all carries needs for
> specific setup when using non-lf line endings. Or just just risks of
> surprises. While I certainly could get this running  with the original
> crlf with some effort, I just don't want to have this hanging over me
> (or anyone else) when it comes to maintenance months or years later.

Please do defend the need for the CRLF changes in more detail. Which
editor do you use for example? Vim preserves the line endings of the
file and does not need these CRLF changes. git doesn't care about line
endings either, it will just commit what you give it.