Fwd: Newbie questions on packaging opencpn

On 04/09/18 10:16, Sebastiaan Couwenberg wrote:
> On 9/2/18 6:53 PM, Sebastiaan Couwenberg wrote:
>> Make sure that you configure the lintian hook and always build your
>> packages in a cowbuilder chroot, as documented in the policy, this
>> points out many issues with packages. See:
>>
>>  https://debian-gis-team.pages.debian.net/policy/packaging.html#git-pbuilder
>
> Have you configured your build environment with the lintian hook as
> documented in the team policy?

Yes.

> There are some lintian issues that need to be addressed:

Basic question here: is it a requirement that the package should be
"lintian clean", so to speak? Or do we fix lintian diagnostics
case-by-case?

>  I: unarr source: testsuite-autopkgtest-missing
>
> There is value to autopkgtests, but can be quite time consuming to
> setup. If you're not going to add autopkgtests in the near future,

No, I'm not.

> add an override with comment to suppress this issue.

Done

> On 04/09/18 14:32, Andreas Tille wrote:
>> I found this a non-timeconsuming "setup"
>>
>>    /usr/share/doc/pbuilder/examples/B20autopkgtest

I don't really get it. Given that the upstream package does not define
any tests, does it make any sense (unless I write patches with a test
suite)?

>  X: unarr source: upstream-metadata-file-is-missing
>
> You should consider adding an upstream metadata file, to at least
> documented the upstream repository & bug URLs.

Done

>  I: unarr source: debian-watch-file-is-missing
>
> This needs an override until a watch file can be added after upstream
> starts tagging releases.

Done

> On 04/09/18 14:32, Andreas Tille wrote:
>> I started using
>>
>>    opts="mode=git,pretty=0.0+git%cd.%h"
>>
>> for missing release tags.  Works out quite good and saves you
>> get-orig-source targets.

I actually kill two birds with one stone here (handling no tags and
crlf). So, FWIW, I lean to keep this as-is. (Part of the drama is that
the other deps also needs get-orig-source due to a tar(!) bug).

> Enable all hardening buildflags in debian/rules with:

Done

> Since it's a C library adding a symbols files is a must,

Done

Cheers!
--alec