Re: GDAL 1.11.4/2.0.2

Hi,

Regarding the circle dependencies, we just had a discussion on #postgis IRC
and a potential solution would be for GDAL not to directly link to spatialite.

GDAL only depends on 3 spatialite symbols (the rest of the dependency is done
through SQL) : spatialite_init_ex() (spatialite_init() for ancient versions),
spatialite_cleanup_ex() (spatialite_shutdown() for ancient versions) and
spatialite_version().

So potentially GDAL could call them through dlopen() / dlsym() symbol loading,
similarly to what is done with the dependency to proj (actually GDAL supports
both standard linking mode and dynamic linking). The annoying thing is that
you must know the name of the shared object. On Linux  "libspatialite.so".
Mac: "libspatialite.dylib" likely. On Windows, I guess the name depends on
whether spatialite is compiled with MSVC, mingw or cygwin

I might have a look at implementing that during the OSGeo code sprint.

Even

http://www.spatialys.com