Re: GDAL 1.11.4/2.0.2

On 05-02-16 16:28, Johan Van de Wauw wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 5, 2016 at 3:22 PM, Sebastiaan Couwenberg wrote:
>> GDAL 1.11.4 & 2.0.2 have been released, but unfortunately we're not able
>> to transition to GDAL 2.0 yet. Upstream would like everyone including
>> Debian & Ubuntu to adopt 2.0, as would I. We mostly need the Fiona 1.7
>> release which is not expected until March. [0]
>
> The packaged version of fiona is not widely used. I don't think it
> should stop us moving towards gdal 2.

Thanks for the feedback. We can raise the severity of #802808 to serious
when the transition to GDAL 2.0 starts. That will get it out of testing
and unblock the gdal transition.

> If I'm not mistaking, the patches to build with GDAL 2 already exist,
> so perhaps we can do an upload of that version to experimental (and
> remove from sid).

The initial GDAL 2.0 changes for fiona are available in #802808, but
upstream has changed the GDAL 2.0 support in final changes included the
upstream repository. And those changes are entangled with other changes
for Fiona 1.7 in the master branch. See:

 https://github.com/Toblerity/Fiona/pull/275
 https://github.com/Toblerity/Fiona/pull/286
 https://github.com/Toblerity/Fiona/commits/master

> A bit unconventional, but I think in this case the advantage of moving
> towards GDAL2 are larger than sticking to fiona in sid/stretch.

We're too late to get either 1.11.4 or 2.0.2 into Ubuntu xenial before
the DebianImportFreeze on February 18th, but we may be able to get it
into stretch before the freeze in November if you don't have to wait for
Fiona.

I hope the move to GDAL 2.0 doesn't expose any serious issues with the
reverse dependencies, as we won't have much time to get fixes for those
into stretch too.

The biggest blocker for the next gdal transition has been removed. I've
just uploaded spatialite (4.3.0a-5) without the dependency on liblwgeom
to untangle the spatialite->postgis->gdal->spatialite circular dependency.