Re: Sponsoring team upload of openstreetmap-carto

On 13-10-15 17:33, Ruben Undheim wrote:
> One thing I've learnt, is that "Maintainer scripts" are not really
> straight forward... I've found a few issues while doing quite
> extensive testing of the different upgrade paths from the previous
> version of openstreetmap-carto.

Yes, getting maintainers script right when you manually create
directories etc is a bit tricky to get right, but fortunately there
are tools to help you with that.

piuparts is invaluable to to get proper removal and purging right, its
- --install-remove-install and --install-purge-install options are very
helpful.

> Another thing is that apparently directories cannot be replaced by
> symbolic links during package upgrade unless some extra tweaking is
> added to the postinst script.

There is now a standard command provided by dpkg-maintscript-helper:

 dir_to_symlink pathname new-target [prior-version [package]]

I strongly recommend to use this.

http://manpages.debian.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=dpkg-maintscript-helper

> I've prepared a new package with all these things fixed. It is an
> advantage if it is uploaded before the package completes its NEW
> journey, but no crisis if not (considering the popcon data for
> openstreetmap-carto which indicates that it's still fairly
> unpopular).

openstreetmap-carto has a low popcon because it's a very new package,
its use will increase much more once it's included in the next stable
release.

> I'm sorry to waste your time, but if you have some available time
> to upload this package, it would be appreciated.

It's not wasted time, endlessly waiting for a sponsor qualifies better
for that.

Since there is no rush to get the latest changes uploaded, it's better
to get some more improvements into the package like the use of
dpkg-maintscript-helper. Also if you haven't done any piuparts testing
of the package, that's a good thing to do before the upload too to not
wait for the bug Andreas Beckmann will report about it.

- --