Debian GIS Policy pbuilder hooks documentation (Was: sfcgal package for postgis and others)

On 06/16/2015 06:38 PM, Ross Gammon wrote:
> On 06/16/2015 11:46 AM, Sven Geggus wrote:
>> Hm I have been using exactly the command from the website for
>> setting up the chroot: cowbuilder --create --distribution=sid
>> --basepath=/var/cache/pbuilder/base-sid.cow
>> --hookdir=~/pbuilder-hooks/
>>
>> No lintian gets started, when calling "gbp buildpackage
>> --git-pbuilder"
>
> I had the same problem when setting up my laptop with Debian
> Jessie. I don't use cowbuilder on my desktop machine (I just use
> pbuilder), so it was my first time following the instructions on
> the GIS policy
> (http://pkg-grass.alioth.debian.org/policy/packaging.html#git-pbuilder).
>
>  Unfortunately, my laptop broke before I had a chance to work out
> what I had done wrong. From memory it did not find the hooks
> directory, or there was a message that no hooks were found in
> there. I can't remember. But at least it sounds like it might not
> be my fault (the hooks I mean - breaking the laptop was my fault)
> :-)
>
> The other question I wanted to ask was how you can do an update of
> the chroot easily. If found myself doing: sudo cowbuilder --update
> --distribution=sid --basepath=/var/cache/pbuilder/base-sid.cow
> which is very long. Do others make an alias, or is there a way to
> store some defaults?

git-pbuilder can also create and update chroots, e.g.:

 DIST=distribution ARCH=architecture git-pbuilder update

See: http://manpages.debian.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=git-pbuilder

> Maybe a small tweak is due for the instructions (which I am happy
> to do if we agree the fixes here)?

This isn't the first time the hook instructions in the Policy didn't
work for those actually trying to follow it. So there is certainly
room to improve it.

Maybe we should recommend the same path as used in the PbuilderTricks
wiki. That recommends:

 HOOKDIR="/var/cache/pbuilder/hook.d/"

See:
https://wiki.debian.org/PbuilderTricks#How_to_build_for_different_distributions

Using an absolute path at least removes the ambiguity of the ~.