Re: sfcgal package for postgis and others

On 06/12/2015 11:30 AM, Sven Geggus wrote:
> Sebastiaan Couwenberg <sebastic@xs4all.nl> wrote:
>
>> I'm not aware of BTS issues, are you sure it's not just a timeout
>> getting the list of wnpp issues?

> Just try to call querybts wnpp

The problematic quertbts is not used if you use reportbug with the
options I gave earlier:

 reportbug -I -b wnpp

Please file the ITP for sfcgal and add the "(closes: #XXXXXX)" to the
package changelog to close the ITP when the package enters the archive.

> As my account is active now I just pushed sfcgal.git to alioth.

Thanks for the push, I've reviewed the package and it needs some
improvements before it can be uploaded to the archive.

- debian/changelog:

The changelog entry still needs to close the ITP bug as mentioned before.

You should also consider changing the urgency to medium so the package
will migrate to testing after 5 days instead of 10.

https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-controlfields.html#s-f-Urgency

- debian/control:

Several changes are needed to conform to the Debian GIS Policy, see:

http://pkg-grass.alioth.debian.org/policy/policy.html#debian-control

The control file should be reformatted using the cme tool to have
consistent formatting of the control file. See:

http://pkg-grass.alioth.debian.org/policy/policy.html#cme

Beware that cme will remove the commented Vcs-* fields, you should
uncomment these first and update them as documented in the Debian GIS
Policy.

You should move the "Section: libs" from the source section to the
libsfcgal1 package section and use "Section: science" for the source
package.

The Maintainer of the package should be "Debian GIS Project
<pkg-grass-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org>" and you should be in the
Uploaders field.

The duplicate descriptions need to be fixed too, lintian complains about
these.

- debian/copyright:

Consider adding the Upstream-Contact header.

You should also add a Files section for debian/* for your packaging
license & copyright.

Also consider using stand-alone license specifications, because you'll
likely use the same license for your Debian packaging. See:

https://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/copyright-format/1.0/#stand-alone-license-paragraph

The licensecheck tool reports several files licensed under the LGPL-2+ &
LGPL-3+, you need to document these files in the copyright separately.

See:

http://pkg-grass.alioth.debian.org/policy/policy.html#debian-copyright

- debian/docs

Because the package is not specified for the docs, it will be applied to
the first package in debian/control only, you should include the README
in all binary packages.

Instead of including the NEWS file in the documention, you should
override dh_installchangelogs in debian/rules to install the NEWS file
as the upstream changelog.

- debian/get-orig-source

This script should be removed in favor of plain uscan with the
debian/watch file.

A get-orig-source script is only required if uscan cannot be used to
download the upstream tarball.

- debian/*.dirs

These are not strictly required, the directories will be created for the
files to install.

- debian/libsfcgal-dev.install

You don't need to specify the prefixed / in the path for the man page.

- debian/rules

Don't install the man page via the rules file, use
debian/libsfcgal-dev.manpages to have dh_installman do the work for you.

Why are the tests skipped?

Consider overriding dh_install to use --list-missing, this will report
file in the build directory that are not being installed. This helps to
ensure that new files are not silently discarded.

You should also use "dh $@ --parallel" to enable parallel builds with
DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS="parallel=N". This should speed up the build.

You also don't need to override dh_auto_configure if you set the flags
in the CMAKE_OPTS environment variable.

Everything above "# main packaging script based on dh7 syntax" can be
removed. debhelper with compatibility level 9 is smart enough to use
dpkg-buildflags too.

- debian/watch

This should be used instead of the get-orig-source script.

The following is recommended:

version=3
opts=\
dversionmangle=s/\+(debian|dfsg|ds|deb)\d*$//,\
uversionmangle=s/(\d)[_\.\-\+]?((RC|rc|pre|dev|beta|alpha)\d*)$/$1~$2/,\
filenamemangle=s/(?:.*)?v(\d[\d\.]*)\.tar\.gz/SFCGAL-$1.tar.gz/ \
https://github.com/Oslandia/SFCGAL/releases \
(?:.*/)?(?:rel|v|SFCGAL)[\-\_]?(\d[\d\-\.]+)\.(?:tgz|tbz|txz|(?:tar\.(?:gz|bz2|xz)))

The filenamemangle is required for GitHub based projects to have uscan
rename the tarball instead of using "v<VERSION>.tar.gz" as provided by
GitHub. The upstream and debian version mangling is a common best
practice. See:

https://wiki.debian.org/debian/watch

I'm not sure how you've built the package, but it's highly recommended
to always use pbuilder/cowbuilder to build the package in a clean
chroot. See:

http://pkg-grass.alioth.debian.org/policy/packaging.html#git-pbuilder
http://pkg-grass.alioth.debian.org/policy/packaging.html#git-build-package

Make sure to also enable the lintian hook as documented to have lintian
report all issues with the package after the build. Currently lintian
reports some typos for which you should add patches, also forward these
patches upstream to not be required to carry the patches indefinitely.