Re: sfcgal package for postgis and others

On 06/11/2015 08:05 PM, Sven Geggus wrote:
> Sebastiaan Couwenberg schrieb am Mittwoch, den 10. Juni um 16:31 Uhr:
>
>> Filing the ITP bug and including the bugnumber in the changelog will get
>> rid of the itp-bug lintian issues.
>
> OK. BUt Currently wnpp Bug reports are broken.

I'm not aware of BTS issues, are you sure it's not just a timeout
getting the list of wnpp issues?

If that's the case you can avoid checking the existing wnpp reports with:

 reportbug -I -b wnpp

>> You should include a manpage for sfcgal-config
>
> OK, added a manpage for sfcgal-config and viewer-SFCGAL

Thanks, I'm looking forward to reviewing your work once it reaches Alioth.

>>> Upstream sources sfcgal_1.1.0.orig.tar.gz can be obtained from:
>>> https://github.com/Oslandia/SFCGAL/archive/v1.1.0.tar.gz
>>>
>>> Arguably one should rather use git master for the package instead of
>>> v1.1.0
>>
>> Yes, using master and the other branches as used by git-buildpackage by
>> default is highly recommended. Deviating from the git-buildpackage default
>> should only be done for very good reasons. The recommended repository
>> layout is documented in the Debian GIS Policy:
>>
>> http://pkg-grass.alioth.debian.org/policy/repositories.html#git-repository
>
> Hm. I'm afraid I do not understand this. I did use the aproach
> documented on your website. I'm refering to upstream master at github
> which is currently several commits ahead of v1.1.0.

Packaging the master branch doesn't sound like a good idea, it's usually
best to skip to packaging proper releases. uscan can easily monitor
those, unlike the git repositories branches.

There are only two commits on the master branches after the 1.1.0
release, the Mac compile issue is not relevant for the Debian package
build and the clang warning likely isn't either.

If there are changes in the upstream git repository that aren't included
in the release you can include those as quilt patches in the package.
Either use `git format-patch` to create the patches manually, or use
`gbp pq` to manage the quilt patches in a git branch.

>> Please join the Debian GIS team on Alioth if you are not a member yet,
>> this will give you access to the git repositories on Alioth where you
>> should move your repository too.
>
> OK, I generated an account and filled a request to join the debian-gis
> team.

And I've accepted your request, welcome to the team!

> I tried to build a postgis package (2.1.7) with sfcgal support but this
> did not work yet :(  "select postgis_sfcgal_version()" does not work
> despite the fact, that the library has been linked in:
>
>  ~/ # ldd /usr/lib/postgresql/9.4/lib/postgis-2.1.so |grep -i sfcgal
> 	libSFCGAL.so.1 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libSFCGAL.so.1 (0x00007f36f875b000)

If you can push your sfcgal package to Alioth I can have a look at this too.