Re: OpenStreetMap Software

Sorry for the confusion, I meant more that packages _using_ maps
may be merged / made consistent.

e.g. checking whats involved in software such as zygrib, which plots maps
under weather maps, using OSM rather than shipping its own maps.

WRT GSHHS I'm more concerned that packages are consistent. For my own work
in climate, when modeling / post-processing we have programs using different
versions of GSHHS, etc. leading to errors (inconsistent mapping of
land/ocean transports, etc.).
Differing sources of maps (GHHS / OSM / ?) will matter, but it should be
ok as long as
we can label which applications use which maps and don't mix.

regards
Alastair

--
Alastair McKinstry, <alastair@sceal.ie>, <mckinstry@debian.org>, https://diaspora.sceal.ie/u/amckinstry
Misentropy: doubting that the Universe is becoming more disordered.