Re: OpenStreetMap Software

On Fr, Mär 06, 2015 at 04:38:59 +0100, Sebastiaan Couwenberg wrote:
> On 03/04/2015 11:13 AM, Jochen Topf wrote:
> >>
> >> About a year later, it looks like the time for the osmium rewrite is
> >> about now. :-)
> >>
> >> Are you planning on tagging releases for {lib,py}osmium{,-tool} any time
> >> soon? I see that only node-osmium has seen some releases so far.
> >
> > Yes. In fact it is on my todo list for this week. :-)
>
> Cool, in the mean time I'm filing the ITPs for the new Osmium package
> family.
>
> During this process I noticed that mapolution in osmium-contrib doesn't
> list copyright and license information. I assume this is also
> public-domain like the rest, but this is not explicitly listed.
>
> There is also no overall license for the combined work including CMake &
> docs mostly.

I'll have a look at the licensing situation.

I am not sure it make sense to package the contrib repository. It is a bit
of a mixture of different things, mostly really demos for developers
interested in working with libosmium.

node-osmium and pyosmium are probably not quite ready for a release and
packaging yet. I should be able to get to them sometime this month.

For the moment I am concentrating on libosmium and osmium-tool, OSMCoastline
isn't that important, but it is ready for a release, too. I have just tagged
releases libosmium 2.0.0, osmium-tool 1.0.0, and osmcoastline 2.0.0. I am
starting with version 2.0.0 for libosmium and osmcoastline to make sure it
doesn't conflict with old osmium. I think we should probably call this package
libosmium2-dev and leave the old libosmium-dev for the time being.

I see you have set
Upstream Author : Osmium Developers <dev@openstreetmap.org>
Is that right? Thats a general OSM developer mailing list. Not really
Osmium specific. We currently don't have any Osmium-specific mailing
address except my own. I could create some @osmcode.org alias if that
makes sense?

For node-osmium and pyosmium you set the Languages to "Javascript" and
"Python", respectively. Is that right? Because they are bindings for the C++
lib for those languages they are mostly written in C++ themselves. libosmium
you set "FIXME" as language, that has to be C++ obviously.

Jochen
--
Jochen Topf  jochen@remote.org  http://www.jochentopf.com/  +49-173-7019282