Re: netCDF Strategy

On 01/24/2015 07:07 PM, Nico Schlömer wrote:
> FYI, mail from Unidate as of May last year concerning libCF.
>
> Cheers,
> Nico

[...]

> Right, Unidata support for libCF development was halted about 2 years
> ago, after the primary developer left Unidata.

Sounds like maybe we should drop libCF.

> The main development focus at the end had been implementing an API
> for GRIDSPEC, in collaboration with a DOE-funded project, but that
> library was never completed.  There are currently better approaches
> for conservative regridding in the ESMF regridding software:
>
>    http://www.earthsystemmodeling.org/esmf_releases/last/regridding_status.html

I can see on the Debian Science wiki, they were thinking of packaging
this (although their link is a little out of date):
http://www.earthsystemmodeling.org/python_releases/ESMPy_620b10_04/python_doc/html/index.html
https://wiki.debian.org/DebianScience/Meteorology

> and its Python interface in ESMPy.
>
> The most recent active implementation of a library for the CF
> Conventions is cf-python, at
>
>    http://cfpython.bitbucket.org/

This might be a better proposition. There was even a release this month!

Thanks Nico!

Ross