Nedcdf Strategy [Was: Re: doc-base errors, documentation installation]

On 01/15/2015 09:52 AM, Nico Schlömer wrote:
> Hi Sebastiaan, all,
>
> Last night, netCDF 4.3.3-rc3 was released [1] with 4.3.3 to be
> expected very soon. I've been working on getting it to build with
> Debian for a while now (mostly pushing things upstream), and I'm
> thinking we're in a good shape right now.
>
> I'd be great if you could have a look at the branch `split-c-f-cxx` on
> alioth to see if there are any obvious shortcomings. If we can fix
> those, we should be finally able to upgrade from the several years old
> 4.1.3.
>
> All hints are much appreciated!
>
> Cheers,
> Nico

Hi Nico,

Great work! This will be a very big transition as there are many
packages depending on netcdf. I suggest we take this discussion over to
the Debian GIS list - which is where the package lives (added to cc).

I can see the C library package name has been changed to libnetcdfc7 in
your `split-c-f-cxx` branch. We should double check this, as many
packages would need bugs to be filed to update their dependencies.

$ apt-cache rdepends libnetcdfc7 [this command was not run on unstable,
so may be out of date]
libnetcdfc7
Reverse Depends:
  libnetcdfc7:i386
  v-sim-plugins
  ruby-netcdf
  python-netcdf
  python-cmor
  octave-octcdf
  netcdf-dbg
  netcdf-bin
  ncview
  nco
  ncl-ncarg
  minc-tools
  libvtk5.8
  libpdl-netcdf-perl
  libnetcdff5
  libnetcdfc++4
  libnetcdf-dev
  libncarg0
  libminc2-3
  libgmt4
  libgdal1h
  libexodusii5
  libdx4
  libcmor2
  libcdi0
  libadios-bin
  gri
  grads
  grace
  gnudatalanguage
  gmt
  ferret-vis
  dx
  cdo

Now the package only contains the C library, and the fortran, and C++
libraries have to be package separately. This is necessary, because
there are many packages depending on them as well (See [1] & [2]). The
tarballs are here:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/downloads/netcdf/index.jsp
libcf0 does not seem to have any reverse dependencies. There is also a
java package that we might as well do at the same time?

I think it would be a good idea to finalise your package and get it
uploaded to "experimental" soon. It will take some time to confirm that
all these dependencies work with the new library before we move it to
unstable.

I am happy to help package the fortran & C++ libraries if you wish. I am
sure Bas would help if he has time as well. We would probably need to
coordinate these packages as part of the transition.

Keep up the good work!

Ross

[1] $ apt-cache rdepends libnetcdff5
libnetcdff5