Re: My actions after the IRC meeting (Was: Reminder and Agenta for IRC meeting)

Hello Kai,

On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 08:49:13PM -0600, Kai Krueger wrote:
> >> Some minor comments :
>
> Two more minor comments:
>
> - in debian/copyright the source still links to the old upstream svn
> repository, rather than the new location on github.

Thanks, for the hint. Changed in Git.

> - the man page debian/osm2pgsql.1 was moved to docs/osm2pgsql.1, so that
> file can likely be removed.

Changed as well.  For you as upstream I quote here the relevant lintian
output:

I: osm2pgsql: spelling-error-in-manpage usr/share/man/man1/osm2pgsql.1.gz allows to allows one to
N:
N:    Lintian found a spelling error in the manpage. Lintian has a list of
N:    common misspellings that it looks for. It does not have a dictionary
N:    like a spelling checker does.
N:
N:    If the string containing the spelling error is translated with the help
N:    of gettext (with the help of po4a, for example) or a similar tool,
N:    please fix the error in the translations as well as the English text to
N:    avoid making the translations fuzzy. With gettext, for example, this
N:    means you should also fix the spelling mistake in the corresponding
N:    msgids in the *.po files.
N:
N:    Severity: minor, Certainty: possible
N:
N:    Check: manpages, Type: binary
N:
I: osm2pgsql: hyphen-used-as-minus-sign usr/share/man/man1/osm2pgsql.1.gz:179
N:
N:    This manual page seems to contain a hyphen where a minus sign was
N:    intended. By default, "-" chars are interpreted as hyphens (U+2010) by
N:    groff, not as minus signs (U+002D). Since options to programs use minus
N:    signs (U+002D), this means for example in UTF-8 locales that you cannot
N:    cut and paste options, nor search for them easily. The Debian groff
N:    package currently forces "-" to be interpreted as a minus sign due to
N:    the number of manual pages with this problem, but this is a
N:    Debian-specific modification and hopefully eventually can be removed.
N:
N:    "-" must be escaped ("\-") to be interpreted as minus. If you really
N:    intend a hyphen (normally you don't), write it as "\(hy" to emphasise
N:    that fact. See groff(7) and especially groff_char(7) for details, and
N:    also the thread starting with
N:    http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2003/debian-devel-200303/msg01481.html
N:
N:    If you use some tool that converts your documentation to groff format,
N:    this tag may indicate a bug in the tool. Some tools convert dashes of
N:    any kind to hyphens. The safe way of converting dashes is to convert
N:    them to "\-".
N:
N:    Because this error can occur very often, Lintian shows only the first 10
N:    occurrences for each man page and give the number of suppressed
N:    occurrences. If you want to see all warnings, run Lintian with the
N:    -d/--debug option.
N:
N:    Refer to /usr/share/doc/groff-base/README.Debian and the groff_char(7)
N:    manual page for details.
N:
N:    Severity: wishlist, Certainty: possible
N:
N:    Check: manpages, Type: binary
N:
I: osm2pgsql: hyphen-used-as-minus-sign usr/share/man/man1/osm2pgsql.1.gz:184
I: osm2pgsql: hyphen-used-as-minus-sign usr/share/man/man1/osm2pgsql.1.gz:247
I: osm2pgsql: hyphen-used-as-minus-sign usr/share/man/man1/osm2pgsql.1.gz:251

May be you want to fix this in the next upstream version.

> > Hmmm, the only files that are striped out are from a debian/ dir inside
> > the original source.  I forgot to mention that we should talk to
> > upstream (which is hereby done because Kai Krueger is obviously reading
> > the list) to drop these files and integrate them properly into our
> > packaging repository.
>
> I have dropped the debian directory from upstream now, so it shouldn't
> be an issue for future releases.

Great!

However, in any case you might like to check the debconf stuff inside
the debian/ dir.  It is not part of our packaging but it might serve
some purpose.  I have no real idea because I gave no idea about
osm2pgsql itself and how the installation process could be smoothened
for the user.

> > I have noticed that upstream contains some debconf code which is lacking
> > in our packaging but could be potentially interesting.  If somebody
> > volunteers to test it we should probably include it as well (and ask
> > upstream to completely drop the debian/ dir.  Kai, if you want to join
> > the packaging effort together with Debian GIS team you should create a
> > login at https://alioth.debian.org and become a member of pkg-grass.  I
> > would (strongly) recommend this.
>
> I have a alioth account and have sent a request to join the pkg-grass
> project yesterday.

Good.  This will enable you to do the changes I just commited yourself
(once you got accepted which I can not do due to lack of permissions).

Kind regards

      Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de