Re: [Pkg-grass-general] libgdal-grass for gdal 1.2.6

On 4/22/05, Stephan Holl <sholl@gmx.net> wrote:
> Hello Silke,
>
> On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 11:06:57 +0200 Silke Reimer
> <Silke.Reimer@intevation.de> wrote:
>
> > Hi Stephan,
> >
> > On Fri, Apr 22, 2005 at 10:16:05AM +0200, Stephan Holl wrote:
> > > Dear List,
> > >
> > > just curious if the libgdal-grass-brigde is available for gdal1.2.6?
> > >
> > > apt-get update && apt-get install libgdal1-grass
> > > only catches 1.2.5.
> >
> > Yes, but as far as I understood Frank once, this isn't a problem
> > because the grass driver hasn't changed between the differen
> > versions. Could you please try, whether it works and give us feedback?

Folks,

First I should say that "plugin" drivers are quite sensitive to any changes
in the internal layout of C++ objects and C++ signatures.  So they often
are not "binary" compatible between versions.  However, they are almost
always source compatible between versions.  That is, you should be
able to recompile from the 1.2.5 plugin version against the 1.2.6 installed
library and things will be fine.

> I recompiled locally and installed from my newly built package with
> my non-default grass-installation.
> gdalinfo --formats does not show up grass as supported format.
>
> Perhaps somebody else can check?

The other thing that changed with 1.2.6 is that GDAL now looks for
the plugins in /usr/local/lib/gdalplugins instead of /usr/local/lib.  The
existing install for the plugin does not account for this so you end up
having to correct for it.

Best regards,
I set the clouds in motion - turn up   | Frank Warmerdam, warmerdam@pobox.com