Re: [Pkg-grass-general] debian-gis stable

On Thu, Jan 27, 2005 at 10:05:05PM +0100, Jochen Friedrich wrote:
> Hi Francesco,
>
> > At this stage, I see the debian-gis repository as an experimental area
> > for general contribution and testing. I'd like to see future DebianGis as
> > a CDD, which many people see as a possible profitable future for
> > Debian development. We currently have a very long life cycle for
> > main (etch would be possible released in 4-5 years from now).
> > I'm quite sure Debian as we know it today will be different after
> > sarge, probably our monolithic archive is at its latest days by now.
> > But who knows?
>
> More than often, people tend to use stable for the base OS and testing for
> selected packages (using apt pinning) for the packages that need to be up
> to date.

Pinnig is an habit due exactly to the very long release cycle, but can
cause instabilities which are very difficult to indentify. Generally
upgrading a grass-like package causes upgrading of a very large
number of sub-packages and libraries, which implications are not
known in advance.

> So i see the debian-gis as development and experimental area and
> unstable/testing in main as the "stable" area (i.e. packages in main
> should not undergo radical packaging changes THAT often ;) ).

Currently yes, but I think many people liked having a stable repository
with a reasonable (about 1-1.5 year) release cycle for applications. That
implies back-porting on regular basis for debian-gis.