Re: [Pkg-grass-general] debian-gis stable

On Wed, Jan 26, 2005 at 06:22:11AM -0800, Jon Saints wrote:
> I work in two GIS labs and both are interested in
> using debian GIS for some production workstations and
> servers.
>
> I thought it would be good to discuss:
>
> What are our plans,if any, for creating a stable
> release of our packages?
>
> do we have a timetable for when we could
> release/promote a stable release? or at least promote
> our repository as being ready for production use?
>
> Besides alioth going down, I have found debian gis
> repository to be fairly stable. what steps are left
> before we internally would consider our packages
> release infrastructure ready for others to rely on for
> production use?

I would strongly vote to add all stable packages to official debian
instead of creating a sort of branch on our repository. I always saw
our repository as an easy effort to bundle our efforts on GIS
related packages and to have it as one central repository for
GIS package that are not yet debian ready - just to make it easier
to get hold the overview over the last version of a certain package
(we once had the problem that there were several grass packages
around and we needed a way to coordinate different efforts to
improve the package).

If we promote our repository as 'ready to use in production' we
would have to build up a great part of the debian infrastructure to
ensure that we have unstable only for testing purposes and testing
for those packages that are more matured. It would be easier to use
the official debian infrastructure to do this for us.

My idea has been to create virtual packages such as 'gis-server' or
'gis-client', perhaps even 'gis-ogc-server' etc. to get bundle of
GIS related packages that are necessary for specific tasks.

So far my thoughts,

many greetings,

	Silke

--
Intevation GmbH

Georgstrasse 4                    49074 Osnabrück, Germany
http://intevation.de              http://intevation.de/~silke
FreeGIS.org                       http://freegis.org/