Re: Iptables firewall

On 22 Jul 2004, jmm wrote:
> Thanks Daniel

No problem. Sorry that you have had these problems. :)

> Even though tiger does not show errors and debsums cannot check /bin, I
> decided I am going to do a complete reinstall -again-- since aide (for
> some reason), reports files changes in /bin /dev and other places.  I
> don't know how to trust this report is until I learn more about aide.

That sounds like a good idea; better safe than sorry.

For what it is worth, I tend to do my system builds either behind a
known-good firewall, or without a network connection, and then make sure
any daemons are turned off while I connect to a network and update to
the latest security patches.

Oh, and in an on-topic thing, I tend to get 'firehol' installed as the
first service after sshd, and set up to 'outbound only' rules while I
get the rest of the thing right.

    Daniel
--
There is censorship in this country, all right, make no mistake about that,
but also make no mistake about its source...While the government will not