Re: [fw-wiz] Firewalling at the domain users level instead of network level

On 22 Jul 2004, Santos wrote:
> Daniel Pittman wrote:

[...]

> Well this was one of the main concerns the client talked about,  as it
> it is now, everyone can access everything, and the client doesn't like
> it. Not that the client wants to implement a china firewall/restrictions
> or something it's just that the client doesn't want people to access
> files and resources they shouldn't be accessing.

*nod*

> And let me disagree a little with you, sometimes applying a techical
> solution to a social problem works much more than seldomly, you just
> can't say to all script-kiddies, "Please don't hack my Samba and
> Sendmail machines , k? Thanks!" :)

Ah, yes. I should clarify - I meant "social problem" in the sense of
"within a group", rather than "within the world".

> So you have to put a firewall there. But if you were talking about the
> social problems inside the network and not the big bad internet, you
> may be right.

Yes, I was. Sorry that this was not clear.

[...]

> P.S.- I'm new to this list, and... shouldn't the reply be addressed to
> the mailing list instead of the person who sent the message?

I suspect that you have run into the 'no Reply-To' header set by the
list question.

Basically, many lists force 'Reply-To' back to the list. This is broken
for a variety of reasons, which a google for 'reply-to considered
harmful' will lay out to you.

The Debian lists, IIRC, don't do this.

The right solution is to use a mail client that allows you to set a
"list" address in some groups, and will direct responses to that
automatically at the *client* side.

Gnus and (I am lead to believe) kmail and mutt all allow that.

Regards,
        Daniel
--
Confidence comes not from always being right but from not fearing to be wrong.
        -- Peter T. Mcintyre