Re: LinuxWorld NY .org Pavilion

Adam DiCarlo writes...

> I'm thinking it would be really nice to have a decent banner too.

I've been thinking the same thing. At work we have a plotter and have printed
big Debian logos in the past. Maybe we could do that and then give it away to
someone at the end.

If we wanted something more professional, we could get a real banner made(one
of the vinyl ones with eyelets and that you can roll up) and ship it around to
the shows along with the tshirts.

> If someone can tell me the size of the wallspace, maybe I can come up
> with a banner.

I think the booth is probably a minimum of 8'x10' and there's usually a 7'
tall curtain at the back. So I think anything from a 4'x4' to 8'x8' logo would
be good. A rectanglar one(like on the top of http://debian.org ) would be cool
too. The PostScript version of the open logo scales pretty well, but IIRC a
guy I work with had to tweak it a little. Let me know if you need details.

> Do we have give-aways, e.g., Debian Woody CDs, even testing Sarge CDs?

I'm not sure if I like the idea of handing out sarge CDs. It might be cool to
do if it's not the main thing we're handing out. OTOH, I don't like handing
out woody CDs. At least 3.0r2 would be an update. People might remember that
inbetween slink and potato VA did "slink and a half" box sets and gave out a
zillon at the show. I think there was mixed reaction to that. Anybody have
suggestions about what we should do?

How about debian-installer only mini-ISOs or something? It could let you pick
what release you wanted to install and could still work once sarge releases.
However, one of the biggest groups of people that get CDs at shows are those
that don't have the bandwidth to download it themselves, so maybe this idea
won't work...

> Should someone contact CD vendors to see if they will supply us?  I'm
> guessing we want at least 500, probably $1000 is better.

When I've been burning CDs in the past we've always run out and I estimate
that we could probably sell 400-500 at $1 apiece. Not quite enough to do a
real "pressed" run. If the event was shortly after a new major release then I
think we could probably do a big run(2000-3000) and use it for the next few
events.

> We can charge $1 for them if our supply is low.

We found in the past that a $1 charge helps weed out the people that are just
looking for free stuff.

> What about T-shirts, any other merch?

I'll be doing tshirts. It will probably be the "debian/rules" design on light
blue shirts(unless someone comes up with a better design in the next few
weeks).

I'd also like to see the following,
 small stickers for putting on cases(I might be able to do this)
 bumper stickers
 swirl temp tattoos
 swirl rubber stamps
 other random stuff with the debian logo on it

Thanks,

--
Matt Taggart
taggart@debian.org