Re: Areas of Emdebian to integrate into Debian

Guys:

On Sun, Apr 3, 2011 at 4:30 PM, Hector Oron<hector.oron@gmail.com>  wrote:
A far as I understand it and I am not in deep knowledge, there are
platform maintainers, i.e. Sasha maintains imx tree, Ben used to
maintain samsung tree, Lennert used to maintain lots of platforms,
Tony maintains omap tree, and so on.... all of them prepare git
branches which Russell King pulls and makes sure are fine for Linus
final pull/merge. All those people review others patchsets submitted
in time.

Lately, Russell has been focusing on architecture-specific code and
leaving platform code to the others you mention (among others).  There
has been a pretty active debate on lkml the last few days over exactly
this issue, and the burden that all the ARM platforms have been
placing on Russell and, indirectly, on Linus.

In short, my impression after following the thread is that platform
submissions are going to be very closely scrutinized, and will be held
to even higher standards than those applied to date.  As a result, any
policy that depends on new platform code being present in mainline
will not be implementable any time soon and not without a lot of
focused effort.

Which makes it all the less likely that embedded developers will submit to mainline although we are constantly berrated (justifiably in most cases) for not doing so. Is this likely to evolve into "Use Device Tree or keep it in-house"?

b.g.