Re: Cross-compiling for powerpcspe

> David Kuehling <dvdkhlng@gmx.de>:
>>  - I wonder what's required to get a pre-build powerpcspe
>> cross-toolchain into Emdebian?  Current gcc-4.4 from Sid seems to
>> work fine.  Would be happy to supply patches if somebody could state
>>   what else needs to be done.

> We are in the process to bring to emdebian.org armhf and powerpcspe
> ports.

Good to hear.  I'll be happy to test that stuff when it comes out.

> In the meanwhile processes are running on a machine on my home
> DSL network, we are looking for a better hosting for a
> buildd.emdebian.org machine.

>>  - Installing a sysroot via apt-cross is somewhat difficult for
>> powerpcspe since it requires installing packages from both 'sid' and
>>   'unreleased' suites.  Apt-cross can only use one suite at a time,
>> and   doing alternating installs from 'sid' and 'unreleased' requires
>>   properly selecting package order and causes all kind of dependency
>>   problems.  Any known workaround for that?

> Besides installation issues (`apt-cross' to be removed) toolchains are
> not configured with sysroot support, but it should be possible to
> build them exporting WITH_SYSROOT (and WITH_BUILD_SYSROOT) enviroment
> variables.

Ok, I'll see whether xapt is going to do the job instead of apt-cross.
What's that about the missing sysroot support?  Debian Sid binutils and
gcc source packages I compiled on amd64 seem to have perfect sysroot
support out-of-the-box.  The follwing commands were used:

	dpkg-source -x binutils_*.dsc
	cd binutils-* && \
	    TARGET=powerpcspe fakeroot debian/rules binary-cross

        dpkg-source -x gcc-4.4_*.dsc
	cd gcc-4.4-* && \
            GCC_TARGET=powerpcspe \
	    WITHOUT_CHECK=yes \
	    DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS=nostrip \
            dpkg-buildpackage -b -uc -us -rfakeroot

I also verified that the binaries compiled via that toolchain run fine
on a e500 cpu (when also copying /usr/powerpc-linux-gnuspe/lib over to
the demo board).  Tested with a full compilation of Qt 4.7 from source,
then running the demo programs.

Running everything via cross-compilation instead of doing native builds
really saved /a lot/ of time, btw.

cheers,

David