Re: emdebian-tools in Squeeze

On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 22:54:39 +0000
Neil Williams <codehelp@debian.org> wrote:

The way this could work, after a little testing, is:

Pull the source package from standard Debian. (I've got various filter
repositories for Grip which contain unchanged Debian sources.)

Use dget -x or dpkg-source -x as normal.

svn-inject ONLY the debian/ contents into Emdebian SVN. (Different path
to the old emsource stuff.) (I think that will have to be done under
the new package name, not sure how that will work right now.)

Work in the exported SVN and make all the changes:
1. New changelog entry, changing source package name.
2. Edit control to change source package name and binary package names.
3. Rename .install files to the new package names.
4. Edit rules to change the options to ./configure
5. Build the package natively.
6. Most packages will fail first time, even if only at the point where
the versioned symbols are handled. This is USEFUL - the patch produced
by dpkg-shlibdeps will identify the symbols we've managed to drop.
Apply the patch and then edit the symbols file to remove the MISSING
flagged lines and put those into a new file: debian/missing-symbols.txt
- keep that in the source package and SVN.
7. Fix the rest of the build and rebuild.
8. Commit debian/ to SVN.

Note that nothing has been cross-built yet.

Note also that this is all standard packaging stuff, take the time to
fix lintian issues, if for some reason the package hasn't applied the
patches for cross-build support, apply them to our source. (Those only
affect files in debian/ anyway.) Avoid adding new patches to the actual
source - keep changes to the files in debian/ - even if a patch gets
applied to code that we don't use, don't remove the patch.

In a chroot, I've got a helper script that will bring in the relevant
dependencies (and not the ones we're trying to drop) and then with our
modified version of the package installed, try installing some reverse
dependencies - ONLY from the list of packages released in Crush 1.0 (or
their direct replacements). Alternatively, a helper script might simply
grep the standard Debian binaries for the relevant packages for the
missing symbols. (Makes it easier to test GUI packages.)

then? who knows - it's not much more than a series of unconnected ideas
right now....