Re: Crush 2.0 abandoned

On Fri, 21 Aug 2009 01:13:18 +0100
Wookey <wookey@wookware.org> wrote:

> +++ Neil Williams [2009-08-05 16:53 +0100]:
> > On Wed, 5 Aug 2009 14:52:22 +0000
> > Prince Riley <wmarketing3@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > We are all very glad and appreciative of the great work you've done
> > > so far. We all understand and respect your decision and wish you the
> > > best as you try to recover your health.
>
> As is abundantly clear Neil has done an extraordinary job getting
> Emdebian from 'some toolchains and good ideas' to 2 released
> distribution variants and a pile of useful tools. It will take at
> least 5 mere mortals to replace him.

:-)

Crush is undeniably the largest amount of work - Grip is highly
automated and largely looks after itself.

> I know it feels like Debian proper hasn't really made his job as easy
> as it could be, but in fact I was struck at Debconf9 this time how
> much the general vibe has changed since Debconf5. Wanting to
> cross-build for arm is no longer some completely fringe activity.
> Installing dev stuff for multiple architectures is now mainstream.
> When proposing whacky things like cross-installing and corresponding
> meta-data I get a serious hearing now, rather than being
> entirely ignored.

Part of this was that I hung out on lots of mailing lists and got a
reputation for always shouting about Emdebian-ness in various topics,
even if the relation to Emdebian was sometimes tangential. Equally on
IRC. People are needed to take over these roles too - debian-devel,
debian-dpkg, debian-gcc, maybe debian-policy too. I'm always fairly
forthright and stubborn when I have the chance to meet relevant Debian
people at conferences etc. It pays to be determined yet friendly whilst
the beer continues to flow.... Don't take no for an answer and show
people *why* the fix is needed.

Make a noise, keep on telling people, keep on blogging about what needs
to be done, keep a consistent message and don't let people forget that
there are real users with real systems needed by real companies who
want to be able to depend on this stuff. Make sure people have no
reason to think that "embedded stuff doesn't matter" and don't let
the gains we have made be lost - keep up the pressure.