Re: Installationproblems with emdebian

Am Freitag, den 21.08.2009, 17:50 +0100 schrieb Neil Williams:
> On Fri, 21 Aug 2009 13:30:14 +0200
> Tom <toabctl@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> > Actually, i try to install emdebian (armel). My host plattform is i386.
>
> > $ build-arm-chroot lenny grip/ http://www.emdebian.org/grip/
> > I: Retrieving Release
> > I: Retrieving Packages
> > I: Base system installed successfully.
> > armel chroot successfully created in grip/
> > $ sudo chroot grip/
>
> You cannot chroot into an armel anything on i386.

i fixed this and can now enter the chroot. i used the ubuntu-package
from http://packages.ubuntu.com/karmic/qemu-arm-static . I installed
emdebian grip inside of a qemu-image and all worked fine.
Steps i have done:
1) mount the empty qemu image to armel/ : mount emdebian.img armel/
3) do debootstrap: build-arm-chroot lenny armel/
http://www.emdebian.org/grip/
(build-arm-chroot is a shell-script from the package qemu-arm-static)
4)chroot armel
5)add entries to /etc/apt/sources.list
deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ lenny main
deb http://www.emdebian.org/grip lenny main
6) apt-get update
7) wget http://www.emdebian.org/d-i/grip-config.deb && dpkg -i
grip-config.deb
8) install kernel with: apt-get install linux-image-versatile
9) keyring from emdebian: apt-get install emdebian-archive-keyring
10) add proc to /etc/fstab : proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
11) exit chroot : exit
12) copy initrd and kernel-image outside of armel/ :
cp armel/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.26-2-versatile .
cp armel/boot/initrd.img-2.6.26-2-versatile .
13) start qemu:
qemu-system-arm -M versatilepb -kernel vmlinuz-2.6.26-2-versatile \
-initrd initrd.img-2.6.26-2-versatile -hda emdebian.img -append "root=/dev/sda1"

That's it. all works fine (inside of qemu is no internet connection,
but that can be fixed with qemu parameters)

> There wouldn't be a problem with the repository because debootstrap
> worked fine.
>
> > # echo "deb http://www.emdebian.org/debian/ lenny main" \
> > # apt-get update
> > Hit http://www.emdebian.org lenny Release.gpg
> > Hit http://www.emdebian.org lenny Release
> > W: Failed to fetch http://www.emdebian.org/debian/dists/lenny/Release
> > Unable to find expected entry  main/binary-armel/Packages in Meta-index
> > file (malformed Release file?)
> >
> > E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old
> > ones used instead.
> >

> > So, this does not work for me. Anybody has an idea how to fix this?
> > Looks like a problem with the emdebian repository!?
>
> Hardly - the packages downloaded fine for the chroot to be created.
>
> Try i386 on i386.

i don't understand what you means with this.

> > What i do here has a bit more steps:
> > 1) download debian-installer for lenny
> > 2) download debian-net-cd-image (armel) for lenny
> > 3) create harddisk image with qemu
>
> Huh? No need for qemu here.
>
> > 4) start qemu with downloaded kernel,initrd.gz, harddisk-image and
> > debian-cd-image
> > 5) inside of the debian-installer, i change the mirror server to
> > www.emdebian.org
>
> www.emdebian.org/grip
>
> > 6) i got an error that the debian-installer can not download the
> > installer components (because there are no components on emdebian.org).
>
> Which is true, they only exist for Grip. Crush has no installer.

i tried grip. i never tried crush. where is the installer from grip?

> > Then i can not install emdebian because the debian-installer can not
> > download the installer components.
> > it's possible to change the mirror-server to ftp.us.debian.org and download
> > from there the debian-installer components and after that, change the mirror-
> > server again to www.emdebian.org , but the installation won't work.
>
> The full source line is:
> deb http://www.emdebian.org/grip lenny main

i used this source-line

anyway. the first way with debootstrap works for me.

cheers,

tom