Re: dpkg-cross knobs (was Re: Crush 2.0 abandoned)

Hi,

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 12:37:25PM +0200, Hector Oron wrote:

> In the meanwhile, while we wait until all multiarch bits are in place,
> and dpkg-cross gets merged into dpkg, could we have *an option* which
> does not break current behaviour on dpkg-cross to use 'sysroot' paths:

No, because that will break as soon as the multiarch-enabled eglibc hits
unstable. The sysroot stuff is meant for pointing the compiler at a
non-standard installation inside a chroot, and if said installation is
using multiarch (which is will do if it is Debian based), then a compiler
looking at

> *<SYSROOT>/ usr/include
> <SYSROOT>/ lib
> <SYSROOT>/ bin

will not find the files.

If a sysroot is specified, the compiler needs to look at

-I <SYSROOT>/usr/include/$DEB_HOST_GNU_TYPE     (multiarch)
-I <SYSROOT>/usr/$DEB_HOST_GNU_TYPE/include     (old style)
-I <SYSROOT>/usr/include                        (sysroot)

The second will most likely not exist and could in theory be omitted.

If no sysroot is given, the list is

-I /usr/include/$DEB_HOST_GNU_TYPE              (multiarch)
-I /usr/$DEB_HOST_GNU_TYPE/include              (old style)

So we don't actually gain anything from using the sysroot support to find
the target includes/libraries.

   Simon