Re: gd library

On Fri, 10 Apr 2009 11:23:10 -0700
Paul Thomas <pthomas8589@gmail.com> wrote:

> OK, this makes sense now. I realized that I had put libgd2-xpm-dev in
> the email, but I really only needed libgd2-noxpm-dev. So I just
> recursed through the broken dependencies that apt-get had and whenever
> I got a message like "Depends: zlib1g (= 1:1.2.3.3.dfsg-12) but
> 1:1.2.3.3.dfsg-12em1 is to be installed" I would run apt-get specifing
> the non em1 version like this "apt-get -f install
> zlib1g=1:1.2.3.3.dfsg-12". After I was done fswebcam would build with
> no problem. Thanks!

The hangover from that will be awkward dependencies and possible
problems upgrading for the next versions of those packages.

> Neil,
>
> The script you were talking about. Would that just automate what I did
> manually (i.e. check for the dependencies and install the non em1
> version)? I think I could handle that, but it sounded like you had
> something a little different in mind. I'd be happy to attempt anything
> with a little help.

The idea for the script is to instruct apt to download the required
package (using command line options for Download-only mode), pass that
file to emgrip to convert the package so that the script installs the
modified package with dpkg, without being forced.

The thing with apt-cross is that it can (under limited circumstances)
solve the dependency problems and allow the full set of packages to be
installed. It does fail with some GUI dependency chains though and
makes things very complicated overall.

However, there are still small issues with this approach - like all
locally modified packages, these will show up in the "obsolete" section
of utilities like aptitude. What aptitude really means is "I can't find
that package online." That's better than complicating future upgrades.

I've now got code to add a dev (and doc) section, diverting packages
automatically. I'll add some -dev packages in due course too.

A script to "fill in the gaps" between what Grip can provide and what
individual users actually need would be very useful.

One final note, if you do write it, please consider putting it under
the same licence as the rest of the emdebian scripts - GPL v3 or later.

http://e-mail.is-not-s.ms/