Re: gd library

On Tue, 7 Apr 2009 16:33:55 -0700
Paul Thomas <pthomas8589@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm using grip lenny armel and trying to install the GD library, but I
> get unmet dependencies. Here is the error:
>
> debian:/home/user/v4l/fswebcam-20070108# apt-get install libgd2-xpm-dev

-dev packages are a possible issue at the moment. I need to find time
to create a dev section where the -dev packages can be kept out of the
way of other users. Grip is very new, some things are going to give a
few problems.

>   libgd2-xpm-dev: Depends: libfontconfig1-dev but it is not going to
> be installed
>                   Depends: libfreetype6-dev but it is not going to be installed
>                   Depends: libjpeg62-dev but it is not going to be installed
>                   Depends: libpng12-0-dev
>                   Depends: libx11-dev but it is not going to be installed
>                   Depends: libxpm-dev but it is not going to be installed
>                   Depends: zlib1g-dev but it is not going to be installed

> Is this a "known" problem?

Yes, although the detail of the mechanism of the problem was unexpected.

> Am I doing something wrong?

Only in that you're about 6 months ahead of the development within Grip
itself - you're attempting to build a package that is not already in
Debian, you're attempting to build a GUI package with masses of
dependencies and you're doing it on a different architecture to your
main system (presumably). All of those things gang together to
complicate the problem.

> How do I figure
> out _why_ apt won't install the dependencies?

Iterate through each of the packages listed:

  libfontconfig1-dev:
  Depends: libfontconfig1 (= 2.6.0-3) but 2.6.0-3em1 is to be installed

So the problem is that the -dev package has a strict dependency on the
shared library package. If you didn't need the -dev, the library
packages themselves would install. The relevant -dev package can also be
forced, the shared library itself has not been changed by being
included in Grip.

> The reason I need GD is
> I'm trying to compile fswebcam which depends on GD.

Compiling is the issue right now. There are a few things you can do:

1. Use emdebian-grip to process the packages you need on your main
Debian system and copy them across. emgrip handles these strict
dependencies, allowing installation of the modified package. There
should be enough information in the manpages to do this for a single
architecture. You'll need to wrap the call to emgrip in
'dpkg-architecture -aarmel -c "$command"'.

2. Force the installation of the -dev packages from Debian - there is no
problem with doing that but it's hassle from having to download and
then force. You may need apt-pinning to keep these installed.

3. Install the Debian versions of the shared libraries to match the
strict dependencies required by the -dev. That could involve changing
quite a few packages as you're trying to build probably one of the more
complex packages in this situation - a GUI.

4. Wait for a new component for Grip:
http://www.emdebian.org/grip lenny main dev
(This is how the -dev tools are expected to become available - in the
same way as contrib and non-free are available as extra options,
Emdebian could add dev and possibly doc.)

Unfortunately, none of these options are exactly trivial. In the first
three cases, apt-cross could be used on your normal Debian system to
actually download the package files you would need. (Use the -g option
to merely download without modifying the downloaded .deb)

> I had all of this
> working in a regular sid debian arm system.

Grip is filtered, certain packages are not included so that the package
cache data can be much smaller than Debian. This filtering includes
limiting the number of binaries taken from a single source package.

Debian has just announced an update of Lenny which gives me the chance
to update Emdebian Grip stable too. I'll be doing this via the existing
lenny-proposed-updates part of the Emdebian Grip archive. Time is the
problem.

I can't do much about this right now, hopefully be able to sort out a
-dev section (although probably only for Emdebian Grip unstable, not
Lenny) over the Easter weekend.

http://e-mail.is-not-s.ms/