gd library

I'm using grip lenny armel and trying to install the GD library, but I
get unmet dependencies. Here is the error:

debian:/home/user/v4l/fswebcam-20070108# apt-get install libgd2-xpm-dev
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

  libgd2-xpm-dev: Depends: libfontconfig1-dev but it is not going to
be installed
                  Depends: libfreetype6-dev but it is not going to be installed
                  Depends: libjpeg62-dev but it is not going to be installed
                  Depends: libpng12-0-dev
                  Depends: libx11-dev but it is not going to be installed
                  Depends: libxpm-dev but it is not going to be installed
                  Depends: zlib1g-dev but it is not going to be installed
E: Broken packages

sources.list has the following lines:
deb http://www.emdebian.org/grip/ lenny main
deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian lenny main contrib non-free

Is this a "known" problem? Am I doing something wrong? How do I figure
out _why_ apt won't install the dependencies? The reason I need GD is
I'm trying to compile fswebcam which depends on GD. I had all of this
working in a regular sid debian arm system.

thanks,
Paul