Re: Managing the ToDo list

On 2007-07-16 22:33 +0100, Neil Williams wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 18:06:39 +0200
> "Hector Oron" <hector.oron@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Neil Williams wrote:

> > > I'm experimenting with 'planner' - a Debian package that writes out a
> > > project plan in XML and can export to HTML.

That is quite pretty and I agree if gives a much more useful overview
of where we are at and what still needs doing than we have had to date.

(Every so often I get someone emailing me saying 'Can I help with
emdebian?', 'What should I do'?  - The 1st question is very easy to
answer, the second much harder, and people have to be quite good at
'self-starting' to join in).

A planner page does not solve that problem, but does go some way to
reducing barriers to entry.

> One area that I want to use in a planner is the lists of Emdebian
> packages that need to be built or updated. A reorderable hierarchy is
> very useful here - if a dependency needs an update, that package can be
> shifted higher up through the list so that people know where to target
> their efforts. Right now, this list exists only in my head - take it
> from me, it isn't safe to keep it there long term!!
>
> It has proved to be a difficult problem to automate so now I'm looking
> for a method of recording rather than calculating.

Ultimately if you think it's a useful tool then use it - no-one is
going to complain very hard. But the access is a problem. Can it
import the XML it produces? If so then anyone with svn access could
change things, which is probably good enough. If not then working out
something better to use on the wiki, or finding another tool is
probably better.

Principal hats:  Balloonz - Toby Churchill - Aleph One - Debian
http://wookware.org/