Re: Managing the ToDo list

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 18:06:39 +0200
"Hector Oron" <hector.oron@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think it is great to have a roadmap or planning tool.

Has anyone used group-aware versions of such tools? Planner is very set
on 'the manager' doing the plan and 'the resources' (yuk) doing the
work. I'd like a more equitable model.

> It helps to
> get things done or at least to see what needs to be done.

The main difference is the level of detail available. In tools like
planner, individual bug reports can be cited (it would be really nice
if the tool was able to load http:// links though). Doing nested levels
in a wiki just gets very complicated to maintain. It is hard enough
maintaining the Emdebian RootFS wiki page.

Just making a ToDo item of "Improve documentation" is not that useful.
Breaking that down into which sections need work, where new material
can be found, what problems exist in converting from Docbook to WML
etc., these provide openings for others to get involved. Big tasks need
to be broken down into smaller chunks. Planner helps this by allowing
multiple nested tasks without bloating the list of tasks - users can
expand and collapse tasks and sub-tasks to identify the specific areas
that suit their inclination. A wiki has a very hard time doing that -
harder still making it easy to edit whilst retaining the structure.

> But as
> Thiemo states that might be too much for the number of people that is
> involved in the project up to date
>
> And for anonymous access, i would prefer to use Wiki pages.

Access is the critical problem here. Planner was only an experiment. I
like the idea of using such a tool but what we need is a more open
style of planner - a group-aware planner.

Trac does have a RoadMap feature, see: http://trac.edgewall.org/roadmap
and adds iCal support too, but the roadmap appears too static and is
based on "Tickets" which are just bug reports to you and me. (The Trac
roadmap is disabled on the Emdebian Trac installation but can be
re-enabled.)

One question that arises: Do we want a purely online planning tool or a
native client that shares data via online protocols?

http://www.opengroupware.org/en/applications/tasks/index.html
(returns to the problem of overkill)

Is there a sane way of using nested levels within the wiki? (Separate
pages make it difficult to get an overview, one long page is too big
to be manageable.)

One area that I want to use in a planner is the lists of Emdebian
packages that need to be built or updated. A reorderable hierarchy is
very useful here - if a dependency needs an update, that package can be
shifted higher up through the list so that people know where to target
their efforts. Right now, this list exists only in my head - take it
from me, it isn't safe to keep it there long term!!

It has proved to be a difficult problem to automate so now I'm looking
for a method of recording rather than calculating.