Managing the ToDo list

The ToDo list on the main website is very brief and, personally, I find
organising and detailing tasks fiddly on the Wiki. If a particular task
needs a bit of explanation, it either needs a whole new page or it
extends the ToDo list to the point where the main page is hard to use.

I'm experimenting with 'planner' - a Debian package that writes out a
project plan in XML and can export to HTML.

As XML, we could save this file in SVN and export the HTML to the
website.

The main advantages are:
1. Hierarchical lists of tasks with sub-tasks with changeable
priorities which can be allocated to people, can include progress,
milestones and other markers.
2. Notes available for each task and sub-task detailing exactly what
needs to be done.
3. HTML output of reports and status.
4. Hide certain sub-tasks to concentrate on relevant ones.

Disadvantages
1. planner cannot do the export for us - the HTML
would have to be exported and committed alongside the XML. However,
in time, the XML could be used with xsltproc to generate our own
reports and pages and that can be automated.
2. The HTML cannot seem to include links - only URL's. (Solving [1]
will solve [2] as well.)

I think something like this could be useful in helping more people
contribute to Emdebian by making the status of the project, work needed
and general information more accessible.

I've uploaded a very basic report:
http://linux.codehelp.co.uk/emdebian/planner.html
and the XML planner file:
http://linux.codehelp.co.uk/emdebian/emdebian.planner

I'm not sure if SVN is the right place for it - planner does support
saving to a database and potentially this could be a remote database
but the list of people able to update the data would probably be the
same in both cases.

Anyone got a better solution?

Anyone like the idea?