Re: cross toolchains and etch toolchain sources

On 06-07-28 16:01 +0100, Thiemo Seufer wrote:
> Alexander Shishkin wrote:
> > On 7/28/06, Eric Cooper <ecc@cmu.edu> wrote:
> > >Are these cross-tools built from the regular source packages, with
> > >different build parameters, or via the toolchain-source package?  (If
> > >the former, is there a HOWTO somewhere?)
> > No, those are built from source packages.
> > And yes, there is a howto page:
> > http://www.emdebian.org/tools/crosstools.html
> > It is somewhat dated, but you still get the idea.
>
> FWIW, I made some mips/mipsel cross packages and put them at
> http://people.debian.org/~ths/toolchain together with my build
> script for it.

Oh that's good. The mips toolchain on emdebian.porg are out of date
because they wouldn't build for me in May, (last time I looked).

It would be good to update the emdebian.org cross-build script so that
it does build these (and the others known to be working). Anyone keen
to work on this can get a login and pointers to where the files are
from me. I do not have cycles to spare for it right now.

> > >There was a recent question about toolchain-source on debian-devel,
> > >for example.  If using the regular packages results in a better set of
> > >cross-tools, perhaps toolchain-source should be deprecated somehow in
> > >etch, or at least some README information added to that package?
> > Yeap, there were several discussions regarding toolchain-source
> > package. I think it was agreed that the package is no longer used and
> > can be safely dropped.
>
> Any reason why there's no removal request bug filed for it (against
> the ftp.debian.org pseoudopackage)? At least I haven't found one.

I think the reason is that it is still useful for cases not covered by
the build proceedure Described at emdebian.org (for non-debian arches,
or canadian crosses). But I'm not sure if this is actually true.
Unless someone can think of a good reasont o keep it (and wants to
maintian it) then we should indeed file for removal.

work: http://www.aleph1.co.uk/                 play: http://wookware.org/