Re: Working on dpkg-checkbuilddeps support for dpkg-cross

> > You know, some build-deps should be kept as-is, and some should be
> > changed to -arch-cross. A good alrorithm is to convert (to
> > -$arch-cross) packages from lib and libdevel sections, while keeping
> > all the rest as-is. But information of package sections is not easily
> > available. Converting everything by default and using only 'keepdeps'
> > and 'ignoredeps' to override is a bad idea IMHO. It will make these
> > lists completely unmaintainable. And 'ignoredeps' will become
> > package-dependent.
>
> At first it was important to get a version working.

I'm afraid it will make more harm than value if implemented based on
removedeps/keepdeps only. To make this functional, we will have to add at
least half of >10000 debian packages to those lists. If we don't, almost
every run of a cross dpkg-buildpackage on a new package will get an
'unsatisfied build deps' error. This will be too anoying.

> Yes, this stupid
> implementation may lead to more maintership.
> The idear with determining the section of a package is a good I think.
> Using libapt-pkg-perl it should be easy get it working.

Note that apt cache available on host is for host architecture, not the
target one. Although I'm not aware of a situation where package section
differs from arch to arch, at least some packages are available on some
architecture and not available on others.