Re: dpkg-cross

+++ Nikita V. Youshchenko [04-06-06 10:24 +0400]:
> > /bin/sh ../../binutils/../ylwrap "" ../../binutils/arparse.y y.tab.c
> > arparse.c y.tab.h arparse.h --  -d ../../binutils/../ylwrap: line 86: -d:
> > command not found make[4]: *** [arparse.c] Error 1
> > make[4]: Leaving directory
>
> Looks that you don't have bison installed on that system.

correct - thanx

> Bison is in build-depends of binutils, but build-depends is not checked when
> debian/rules binary-cross is executed.

yes - this is something I'd like stag to deal with eventually - check
build-dependencies and install the right things. This is of course ticky
because it doesn't know if the native or the cross versions of things should
be installed. Any suggestion as to how this might be dealt with?

Do we really need build-deps-arch and build-deps-indep to solve this
'properly'? (in which case Emdebian packages should be patched accordingly)

> > And whilst I can see that the 'mode' scheme in dpkg-buildpackage gives the
> > same (better in fact) functionality as in the emdebian version, I don't
> > see how your new dpkg-shlibdeps replaces the necessary code in the
> > emdebian version. Am I failing to understand the versatility of your
> > scheme, or do we need to merge this somehow?
>
> I just forgot about dpkg-shlibdeps :).
>
> > It could be passed these things as options, but I don't know whether it
> > always will be when it is invoked.
>
> 'man dpkg-shlibdeps' is your friend :).
> dpkg-shlibdeps -Lemdebian/shlibs.local -Temdebian/substvars
>
> However, this may be inconvinient to add those paramenets in emdebian/rules
> of almost all packages. If you think so, we may (for example) make
> dpkg-cross version of dpkg-shlibdeps to honour $shlibslocalfile and
> $substvarsfile environment variables if those are set; later you may set
> those in 'mode emdebian: scope environment:' part
> of /etc/dpkg/cross-compile/

I think it would be better to make dpkg-shlibdeps honour these environment
variables, than attempt to correctly modify all the rules files, because
this will always need to be done (under the current scheme).

> P.S.
> It woul be nice if you'll CC: yoush replies to my e-mail :).

will do.