Re: dpkg-cross

> yes - this is something I'd like stag to deal with eventually - check
> build-dependencies and install the right things. This is of course ticky
> because it doesn't know if the native or the cross versions of things
> should be installed. Any suggestion as to how this might be dealt with?

Probably build-depends for cross-building may be generated in
semi-automated mode.
A good heuristic is: take debian package build-depends, and replace any
packages with their -$arch-cross equivalents for packages of libs and
libdevel sections.
For the cases when this is not correct, a "fixup database" may be checked.

To get something clean, a buildd-like service should be running, to ensure
clean build environment for packages. Without such a process, the result
will become a mess very quickly. Just look what Familiar linux looks like
today.

Btw, -$arch-cross debs may be created from emdebian packages, not only from
official debian packages.

> > 'man dpkg-shlibdeps' is your friend :).
> > dpkg-shlibdeps -Lemdebian/shlibs.local -Temdebian/substvars
> >
> > However, this may be inconvinient to add those paramenets in
> > emdebian/rules of almost all packages. If you think so, we may (for
> > example) make dpkg-cross version of dpkg-shlibdeps to honour
> > $shlibslocalfile and $substvarsfile environment variables if those are
> > set; later you may set those in 'mode emdebian: scope environment:'
> > part
> > of /etc/dpkg/cross-compile/
>
> I think it would be better to make dpkg-shlibdeps honour these
> environment variables, than attempt to correctly modify all the rules
> files, because this will always need to be done (under the current
> scheme).

OK, I'll add that code.
Maybe we should ask dpkg and debhelper maintainers to do the same (to
honour a set of environment variables for default file paths)? Looks like
a major part of stag code will become unnesessary then...

Btw: I looked at diff between dh_*_embed from stag-addons and corresponding
debhelper scripts. Looks like stag-addons version was created
automatically by replacing any occurance of 'debian' to 'emdebian'?
Sometimes result looks funny, for example:

 =head1 AUTHOR

- -Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org>
+Joey Hess <joeyh@emdebian.org>

 =cut