Re: some thoughts (scratchbox, emdebian/rules)

+++ Justin Cormack [04-02-17 15:40 +0000]:
> On Tue, 2004-02-17 at 14:05, Philippe De Swert wrote:
>
> > Another idea I found quite good (ideaby Wookey) was to add an emdebian/rules
> > instead of an debian/rules file adapted to emdebian in the standard debian
> > packages. This way we could add patches which break one platform but are needed
> > for the other, keep the complexity down of the original rules file, etc...
>
> I was thinking about this earlier today actually, and there are a couple
> of issues:
>
> 1. (fairly trivial) is it emdebian/rules or just an emdebian-build
> target in the standard rules file?
>
> 2. we have to change the control file too (to change packages built and
> build deps), so do we add an emdebian/control or debian/emdebian-control
> file? Otherwise we are still going to have to patch original sources
>
> 3. if you do either of these, you wont be able to build packages from
> standard source debs easily (because the emdebian dpkg will be looking
> for the emdebian files).

Given that we'd need to patch dpkg to look for the new
rules/control/whatever it wouldn't be hard for the patch to fall back to
/debian if /emdebian doesn't exist, or to add an option to 'behave like
normal dpkg', so I don't think this is serious problem. Package name
clashes/equivalencies is probably much harder in terms of being able to use
debian stuff on an emdebian system.

i.e. if we make all the emdebian packages have different names then you can
add debian packages in easily, but they'll bring in huge piles of stuff
because the depended-on-packages have different names too.

If the emdebian packages have the same names then you can't use stuff out of
debian without rebuilding, but library dependencies should work.

This is one of the the things that neds some more thinking-through to work
out best tradeoffs.