Re: Need help converting ess package to melpa-ess

Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd@debian.org> writes:

> David,
>
> One more thing, if I may. :)
>
> I noticed that my ~/.emacs now needed as explicit "(require 'ess-site)" added
> to it. I think that was covered before with the old startup script which
> has.  Is that something we should add to the debian/debian-autoloads.el? Or
> some other file?
>
> Dirk

Yes, you can add something like

;;;###autoload
(require 'ess-site)

to debian/debian-autoloads.el

It's questionable whether some of the other autoloads (e.g. for R-mode)
are useful in that case since they just provide lazy loading of
ess-site.

The other alternative would be to add of the following to
debian/debian-autoloads.el

;;;###autoload
(autoload 'foo "ess-site" "Run foo" t)

The advantage of the second approach is that you won't be loading ess
for every user and every emacs session. On the other hand, there may be
some entry points not covered. Some packages need a startup file like
ess-site explicitely loaded; my experience was that at least simple
things like "emacs foo.R"

In the long run, those ;;;###autoload cookies should probably be added
upstream so that non-debian users could use them. So you might prefer
just to patch them in to ess-foo.el  and send the patches upstream.
The emacs package process will collect them all and run them at package
initialization time.