Re: Need help converting ess package to melpa-ess

Hi David,

On 18 August 2018 at 22:26, David Bremner wrote:
| Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd@debian.org> writes:
|
| > Hi David,
| >

| > Ok. I added a little more polish and we now have package elpa-ess and ess
| > (for the transition).  Both are lintian clean and here:
| >
| >    http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/tmp/elpa-ess_17.11-4_all.deb
| >    http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/tmp/ess_17.11-4_all.deb
| >
| > However, the elpa-ess package does not install.
| >
| > Do I need to convert to dh-elpa to the helper scripts invoked?  Log below.
|
| Ah, sorry I missed this problem before, I thought the doc thing was the
| reason it was failing and glazed over from all of the warnings.
|
| As far as I understand, the problem is that ess-autoloads.el file is
| normally autogenerated and sets the correct load path, but my patch (and
| I guess your package) includes the upstream file with that same name.
|
| A quick and dirty fix to the load path problem would be
|
| diff --git a/ess-autoloads.el b/ess-autoloads.el
| index f5493d0..4208262 100644
| --- a/ess-autoloads.el
| +++ b/ess-autoloads.el
| @@ -41,12 +41,7 @@
|  ;;;=====================================================
|  ;;;
|
| -(when (boundp 'load-path)
| -  (add-to-list 'load-path
| -               (file-name-as-directory
| -                (expand-file-name
| -                 "lisp"
| -                 (file-name-directory load-file-name)))))
| +(add-to-list 'load-path (directory-file-name (or (file-name-directory #$) (car load-path))))
|

| It would be somewhat nicer to use the following debian/elpa (i.e. drop ess-autoloads.el)
|
| lisp/*.el
| debian/debian-autoloads.el
|
| where debian/debian-autoloads.el is as attached.

I opted for that second solution (including your attached el as well), but no
mas. It still bonks on load.

| Basically the ;;;###autoload tells emacs to include the next form in the
| generated autoloads file.
|
| There are two remaining issues, which seem more specific to ess.
|
| ,----
| | In toplevel form:
| | ess-bugs-d.el:26:1:Error: Symbol’s value as variable is void: ess-microsoft-p
| `----
|
| I don't know how this works normally, but I found that adding "(require
| 'ess-custom)" to the top of ess-bugs-d.el fixed it.

I ignored that for now; I seem to recall that some of these things changed upstream.

| The following looks like the change in installed package layout breaks
| some assumption in ess.
|
| ,----
| | In ess-message:
| | ess-comp.el:44:7:Warning: reference to free variable ‘ess-show-load-messages’
| | ERROR:ess-etc-directory
| | Relative to ess-lisp-directory, one of the following must exist:
| | ../etc/ess, ../etc, ../../etc/ess or ./etc
| `----
|
| That seems fixed by adding "etc" to debian/elpa; you'd presumable not
| want to install it manually in d/rules as well.

I added etc to debian/elpa

I just committed where I am at as 17.11-4 to https://salsa.debian.org/edd/ess
(and just realize I should have used a branch, I guess).

Can you take another look?

Dirk

--
http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd@debian.org