Re: future of emacs20

Miles Bader <miles@lsi.nec.co.jp> writes:

>>From what I've seen on the emacs groups, it's mostly people who are
> very conservative about changing what works, and those who dislike
> the `new fangled' look of emacs 21.

If you just turn off the toolbar and menubar, it's surprisingly less
fangled.  I wanted the extra screen space, and I never use those, so
off they go, and to be sure they're not there even for a second, my
.Xresources/.Xsession has:

  emacs.geometry: 80x74
  Emacs.font: fixed
  Emacs.pane.menubar.font: fixed
  Emacs.menu*.font: fixed
  Emacs.dialog*.font: fixed
  Emacs.menuBar: off
  Emacs.toolBar: 0

> I expect the latter group could largely be satisfied by a guide to
> turning off the various new features of emacs 21 that they dislike
> (perhaps the debian site file could even have an `emacs20ify' function);
> I think the one sticky point is that unless you use `emacs -nw', turning
> off the [left] fringe is not entirely equivalent to the old emacs
> overflow-indicator column.

ISTR they may have added some more fringe options in 21.3, but I'd
have to check to be sure.

One thing I'm not all that happy about is the xaw3d scrollbars.  I'm
tempted to go back to the plain ones.  They seemed cleaner and more
functional to me.  I suppose I'm also going to have to think about
what (if anything) I might want to do about gtk as well...

--
Rob Browning
rlb @defaultvalue.org and @debian.org; previously @cs.utexas.edu