Re: future of emacs20

On Thu, May 15, 2003 at 12:03:32PM -0500, Rob Browning wrote:
> One thing I'm not all that happy about is the xaw3d scrollbars.  I'm
> tempted to go back to the plain ones.  They seemed cleaner and more
> functional to me.  I suppose I'm also going to have to think about
> what (if anything) I might want to do about gtk as well...

There's clearly a strong retro contingent in the emacs community, but even
there, I think a general rule is that -- for better or for worse -- `eye
candy matters.'  This is especially true for newbie users.

For this reason, I think that if there's only one emacs package, GTK is the
way to go -- it may have a few rough edges compared to the native scrollbars
but it looks _infinitely_ better, and makes emacs feel like it's finally a
`real' app.

-Miles
--
Freedom's just another word, for nothing left to lose   --Janis Joplin