Re: future of emacs20

Dan Jacobson <jidanni@dman.ddts.net> writes:

> Miles> would be a good idea to have an `emacs21-for-slow-machines' package.
> Naw.  Do
> $ emacs21 --no-site-file -q -nw
> $ emacs21 -q -nw
> $ emacs21 --no-site-file -nw
> $ emacs21 -nw
> $ emacs21
> etc. to see where the problem lies.  The first should be lightning fast.

This illustrates one thing that I've been hesitating about reporting
as bugs, as it affects many packages.  (I have reported it for at
least one package though, and it was fixed.)  Many Debian startup
scripts for emacs are badly written.  Several of them load or require
files.  Typically, only autoloads should be used, and possibly
global-set-key or similar.

I have removed most debian emacs packages to get reasonable speed, but
still rarely use the debian emacs package since my standalone compile
starts faster.

Perhaps someone wants to go through all emacs packages and look at
what they are doing...