Re: future of emacs20

Jim McCloskey <mcclosk@ucsc.edu> writes:
> Hmm, well, general slowdown is certainly what we saw here.

Can you be more specific than just `general slowdown'?

E.g. Does the slowdown:

  * occur locally or only with remote X connections?  [the most common case]

  * occur using `emacs -nw' too, or just running under X?

  * happen with `average' text, or only for e.g. very long lines?

  * happen for vanilla text, or only with lots of faces displayed (I think
    face display can be slower under emacs 21)

  * happen for `static' displays, or only when scrolling.

  * seem to occur only for display operations, or is it unrelated to
    display?  For instance, is there some lisp program you want to run that
    doesn't do any (or much) redisplay, but is much slower?

> These were users who carried over their emacs20 configurations to emacs21,
> which is not an unreasonable thing to want to do in general, if you've
> spent a lot of time tweaking it for the tasks you regularly perform.

Well, sure, but I think the goal here is to come up with a reasonably
focused list of `if it's slow for you, try changing these things.'
That way a user could carry over their old environment, and get up to speed
fairly quickly.

To some extent, an `emacs20ify' function in site-lisp like I mentioned
before could make doing this even simpler.

Also, if compile-time configuration makes a big enough difference, maybe it
would be a good idea to have an `emacs21-for-slow-machines' package.

-Miles
--
"1971 pickup truck; will trade for guns"