Re: gnuclient and emacs21?

Rodrigo> Hi there.  I'm trying to run gnuserv with emacs21, but it's
Rodrigo> not working.

Rodrigo> I start "M-x gnuserv-start", and it seems to work ("Loading
Rodrigo> gnuserv-compat...done" on the minibuffer). But when I try
Rodrigo> "gnuclient file" on a different tty (either different screen
Rodrigo> window ou another "real" tty), it exits immediately and I get
Rodrigo> the following on the emacs window:

Rodrigo> error in process filter: Wrong number of arguments:

<snip>

Rodrigo> And that's it. The error apparently is shown on the video,
Rodrigo> not on the emacs window itself, because it goes away when I
Rodrigo> press any key.

Rodrigo> Does anyone know what's going on? It also doesn't work
Rodrigo> emacs20, but works with xemacs21.

itz> I remember that once upon a time there was a conflict between the
itz> gnuserv package and the gnuserv that is built into xemacs.  I
itz> solved that by getting rid of xemacs, as I don't really have a
itz> use for it.

After looking into this matter in some detail, I decided to do

kronstadt:~# apt-get -t stable install gnuserv

Apparently, starting with version 3 the upstream gnuserv developers
consciously put GNU Emacs compatibility on a backburner, only taking
care of it by providing a hackish and fragile wrapper.  Stable still
has gnuserv 2.1 which is an uninterrupted development from good old
emacsclient.

Unfortunately this solution probably won't work for you if you keep
XEmacs around, due to the aforementioned conflict.  The gnuserv in
stable doesn't protect against it by using alternatives as later
versions in testing do.

For Debian as a whole, maybe the best way is a fork of gnuserv :(

--
Ian Zimmerman, Oakland, California, U.S.A.
Hypocrisy, arrogance and manipulation: sure-fire ways to earn hatred.